Reno and I had a quick trip back to Utah to attend the funeral of one of his very best friends, Aaron Garrett. We had a few roadblocks to overcome to get there, but we made it and are SO happy that we did. Although we were only there for one day, this past Monday was a day we will always remember.
Remembering Aaron: Aaron's sister Meagan was one of my best friends all through high school, so at first Aaron was always just the big brother that all the girls had a crush on. But as I started dating Reno I became friends with Aaron as well, and I feel so blessed to have known him. He was always so kind and respectful to me, and such a loyal friend to Reno. We have so many fun memories with him and will miss him so much!

Remembering Friends: Reno has a great group of friends that have been friends since 2nd grade. It is so fun getting all together to laugh and share stories (even if I've heard some of them a hundred times). But Monday my heart ached as I saw them gather together around the casket of one of their "brothers" and weep as they said good-bye to him. I cried as they sang "Called to Serve" at his funeral, but I felt the strength and power as they sang the words "...Press forward ever called to serve our King!". I know they will continue to support one another and that Aaron has been called to serve a special mission. He will forever be in their hearts.
Remembering (meeting) Reno: After the funeral they had a beautiful BBQ where we all got together to celebrate memories of Aaron. On our way there Reno and I realized that is was at this place, almost exactly 7 yrs ago, that the two of us met. It was Meagan's wedding dinner, I was there with all my friends and Reno was there with his. He asked me my name and if I had a boyfriend, I of course said no. Then he went back to talking to his friends and we didn't speak the rest of the night :). Three weeks later, he finally called and asked me out. And the rest is history!
I just want to say thank you to the Garrett Family for letting us be a part of the most amazing funeral services I have ever attended. We loved Aaron and we love your family. We will continue to keep you in our prayers!



5 comments:
Mel-Im so sorry about Aaron, he was such a nice guy. I only talked to him a few times while we were in Indiana but he was always so sweet. How did he pass away?
Wow, I'm shocked. He was such a nice guy. He was always nice to talk to. Though I didn't know him well it always seemed to me that he truly cared about how people were doing.
Is his little son doing okay?
Amazing post, Melanie! I didn't even know Aaron but I'm still crying. I sorry for your loss.
hey there! what a great post. you couldn't have said it better. Aaron was the best. It was also good to see you all! It has been forever. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving that sweet comment. I really appreciate it. Now we can be blogging buddies :) Oh and your little girls are beautiful. Really. I made my husband come look :) so cute.
Small world. My dad worked with him and his dad. Sorry for the loss of your friend. They really are a great family. I hope all is well with your family.
Post a Comment